MICHAEL C. WARD
Michael focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation. He has achieved successful and efficient results for a range of clients from Fortune 500 financial institutions to closely-held companies and individuals in federal and state courts and in arbitrations. Michael has had a leading role in a variety of complex commercial disputes, managing all phases of litigation from the pleading stage through trial preparation or settlement, including appearing in court and deposing fact and expert witnesses. He also has been the leading associate on litigation teams that have obtained positive arbitration awards for clients in the reinsurance and insurance industries.
Michael’s recent clients include a venture capital fund in a multi-million dollar action against a potential investor for breach of contract and unfair competition related to a client’s intellectual property rights.
A graduate of St. John’s University School of Law, Michael was an Executive Articles & Notes Editor for The New York Real Property Law Journal, and a former judicial intern to the Honorable Arthur M. Diamond of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of Nassau.
An undergraduate from Duke University, Michael also enjoyed a career as a professional athlete in both Major League Lacrosse and the National Lacrosse League and was named an MLL All-Star in 2011.
Immediately prior to joining Barton LLP, Michael was with Wollmuth Maher & Deutsch LLP.
- Financial Institutions
- Venture Capital
- Successfully defended private equity fund in action by investor alleging securities fraud, claims dismissed on summary judgment.Represented investment management firm and certain of its employees in action alleging misappropriation of information relating to derivative contracts with competitor’s trading partners
- Represented bankruptcy estate of large financial institution in ADR proceedings seeking indemnification for loan originators’ breaches of representations and warranties on collateral underlying certain mortgage-backed securities
- Represented theme park owner in dispute with nationwide operator brought under the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act and in connection with counterclaims for breach of commercial lease agreement
- Represented manufacturer of component parts in connection with products liability action arising from crane collapse in New York City
- Represented multinational funds in bankruptcy proceedings arising from the allegations of fraud perpetrated by Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC
- Represented Fortune 100 institutional investor asserting securities fraud claims under federal and state law in connection with bank’s conduct as underwriter, seller and/or issuer of certain residential mortgage-backed securities
- Represented Fortune 50 insurer in state court actions and arbitrations seeking reinsurance payments from reinsurer