MICHAEL C. WARD
Michael has a broad practice with a particular focus on complex financial and commercial litigation matters, in federal and state courts, arbitrations, and out-of-court negotiations. He handles all phases of litigation, from strategic analysis of claims and defenses through trial preparation or settlement, including motion practice, fact and expert discovery, depositions and appeals.
Michael has also assisted in the representation of a number of sophisticated financial services firms, broker-dealers, registered representatives and investment advisory firms on a variety of issues, including employee recruiting and raiding, unfair competition, protection of trade secrets and other confidential information, the enforcement of non-solicitation agreements and breach of contract claims.
Prior to joining Barton LLP, Michael was a litigation associate with Wollmuth Maher & Deutsch LLP, where he successfully represented a range of clients from Fortune 100 financial institutions to closely-held companies and individuals in corporate and commercial matters, as well as reinsurance and insurance disputes.
As published by Thomson Reuters, Michael was recognized as a New York Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2017 and 2018 in the area of business litigation.
- Financial Institutions
- Venture Capital
- Successfully defended private equity fund in action by investor alleging securities fraud, claims dismissed on summary judgment.Represented investment management firm and certain of its employees in action alleging misappropriation of information relating to derivative contracts with competitor’s trading partners
- Represented bankruptcy estate of large financial institution in ADR proceedings seeking indemnification for loan originators’ breaches of representations and warranties on collateral underlying certain mortgage-backed securities
- Represented theme park owner in dispute with nationwide operator brought under the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act and in connection with counterclaims for breach of commercial lease agreement
- Represented manufacturer of component parts in connection with products liability action arising from crane collapse in New York City
- Represented multinational funds in bankruptcy proceedings arising from the allegations of fraud perpetrated by Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC
- Represented Fortune 100 institutional investor asserting securities fraud claims under federal and state law in connection with bank’s conduct as underwriter, seller and/or issuer of certain residential mortgage-backed securities
- Represented Fortune 50 insurer in state court actions and arbitrations seeking reinsurance payments from reinsurer