JASON A. COHEN
Jason Cohen focuses his practice on complex commercial and product liability litigation in defending financial services, manufacturing, medical device, pharmaceutical, safety product, and media companies in a broad range of complex litigation, including class actions, multi-district litigations and mass torts.
He has experience in all aspects of litigation, coordination, and resolution of complex cases, including a deep-rooted knowledge of all facets of pre-trial discovery and motion practice. Jason maintains a particular expertise in the multitude of issues associated with the coordination of electronic discovery across multiple platforms and litigation scenarios. He has significant experience in expert development and management and has also participated in significant litigation-related due diligence efforts on behalf of corporate and private equity clients as well as overall project management efforts associated with legal services both on the corporate and the litigation side of the aisle.
Beyond his skills as an accomplished litigator and legal tactician, Jason prides himself on his deep consideration of legal services as a business and, ultimately, in bringing value to his clients. To this end, throughout his career Jason has maintained a singularly focused, results oriented approach, thus providing comprehensive and fully encompassing solutions for clients facing a multitude of legal issues, from basic commercial litigation to major product liability and “bet the company” complex-litigation. Jason advises large multi-national corporations, small and focused start-ups and thought-leading individuals in developing and executing comprehensive litigation and strategic resolution options aimed at providing an all-inclusive strategic litigation management and counseling service targeted at mitigating the headline, financial and reputational risks clients face in complex and often viral litigations. Throughout his career Jason has maintained this focus aimed at providing court room and business side victories, but also focused on board room victories and budgetary victories as well. As a result of this sophisticated approach to value-based management practices, Jason and his colleagues were the recipients of the ACC Value Champions Award by the Association of Corporate Counsel. This auspicious recognition is significant as the ACC selectively identifies and highlights “those who are effectively driving value by cutting spending, improving predictability and achieving better legal outcomes.”
Jason regularly serves his community, including his participation as a member of the Board of Directors of the National Foundation to End Senior Hunger.
Prior to joining Barton, Jason was a partner in New York office of the international firm, Reed Smith LLP.
- Consumer Products
- Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices
Awards & Honors
- Member, 2016 American Lawyer Litigation Department of the Year – Product Liability finalist
- Member, 2014 ACC Value Champions Award-Winning Team, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Member of the 2014 Legal 500 Product Liability Defense Litigation “Team of the Year”
- Represented NYSE listed safety products manufacturer as National Coordinating Counsel in its national toxic tort litigation involving thousands of product liability cases concurrently pending in more than 50 different state and federal jurisdictions
- Represented Fortune 50 multi-national pharmaceutical company as National Coordinating Counsel for its toxic tort litigation involving tens of thousands of cases pending across the country; in his role, Jason served to coordinate and defend primary claims against this DOW 30 client as well as legacy claims stemming from a decades old acquisition
- Represented multi-national commercial/investment banking institution in litigating and ultimately resolving several complex, potentially very high-profile and very high-value FINRA and JAMS arbitrations stemming from contractual issues related to a merger struck in the wake of the 2008 financial collapse of other multinational investment/commercial banking institutions
- Represented Fortune 100 life insurance client as National Coordinating and Strategic Settlement Counsel in conjunction with the defense and ultimate resolution of a national sales practices class action valued at over $750M
- Represented significant hedge/mutual fund in assessing potential liability
associated with the multi-billion dollar launch of of a new product-line previously developed by primary investment team while employed for separate alternate investment vehicle; ultimately resolved potential dispute as a part of software and code licensing agreement allowing for maintenance of full investment control
- Represented multi-national safety products manufacturer as primary on-site contact in coordinating and managing all aspects of several complex, multi-party, product liability cases tried to jury verdict in a number of different states and jurisdictions within the states; in one particularly noteworthy case, also led appellate efforts in overturning a significant, six-figure plaintiff’s verdict while, more importantly, establishing a new, clearer and stricter standard for failure to warn claims
- Represented Fortune 1000 medical device manufacturer as National Coordinating Counsel and Strategic Settlement Counsel in federal MDL litigation and related state court actions with total settlement value in the hundreds of millions of dollars
- Represented significant Hollywood-based movie studio as National Coordinating Counsel in defending tens of thousands of legacy toxic tort cases pending in a wide-variety of state and federal jurisdictions, including both state and federal MDL consolidations, ultimately stemming from its acquisition of a leisure activities company with toxic tort liabilities decades earlier; efforts by Jason and the team resulted in the dismissal of tens of thousands of cases, leaving only a very limited number of so-called legitimate or bona-fide cases on which the defense team may now focus
- Represented significant Cable News Network as a part of trial team in drafting Motion for Summary Judgment, Motions in Limine, and Bench Brief on Damages in large, contractual matter ultimately resolved on terms favorable to a client after one day of trial
- Represented aggrieved party in successful pursuit of significant monetary sanctions against adverse parties for abuse of discovery practices even though underlying case giving rise to discovery issues had already been dismissed prior to the firm’s retention