STEVEN R. EBERT
Steven R. Ebert has significant experience in real estate, finance and general business transactions. Steven represents purchasers, sellers, financial institutions, investors, condominium associations, co-operative housing corporations, landlords and tenants in the acquisition, disposition and leasing of commercial and residential real estate. He advises on sophisticated tax driven transactions, including IRC Section 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges for investors and FIRPTA matters for international clients. Steven also has a strong background in affordable housing transactions such as HDFC and HPD subsidized co-op apartments. Steven routinely handles the governance, formation, and registration of co-operative and condominium offerings.
He has represented commercial and investment banks, credit enhancers, loan sellers and government agencies in the securitization of more than $5 billion worth of mortgage backed and other asset backed securities. Steven also works with Barton’s corporate team in a variety of transactions that include the formation of business entities, corporate governance and M&A transactions.
Steven’s real estate clients represent the diverse spectrum of transactions that constitute the market. Whether you are a global investor or first-time homebuyer, he provides sophisticated guidance and personal attention for a seamless transaction.
Steven has lectured at numerous academic centers and private industry forums, including events hosted by financial institutions, title insurance companies and real estate brokerages, on matters of real estate, business law and taxation. Steven is also licensed by the New York State Department of State to instruct and issue mandatory continuing education credits for the entire New York State real estate brokerage community.
Prior to joining Barton, Steven founded Ebert Lontok (formerly Ebert & Associates, LLC), a real estate boutique firm, in 2003. Previously, Steven was an attorney with the law firms of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft and Arent Fox. Before Steven started his legal career, he served as a consultant to the Director of Commerce of the City of Philadelphia and worked on economic development programs, real estate tax abatement programs and analyzed business competitiveness factors between major municipalities across the United States.
Speeches, Panels & Presentations
- “Proptech: The Evolving Opportunities, Risks, & Challenges for Co-Op and Condominium Boards.” New York, New York. (September 25, 2019).
- “1031 Line-Kind Exchanges” with Bank of America. Instructor for NYS DOS Approved Continuing Education Course. New York, New York. (June 20, 2019).
- “Real Estate Owners, Developers and Operators: Is Your Tenant and Property Information Secure?” EisnerAmper Seminar. New York, New York. (June 19, 2019).
- “Understanding Opportunity Zones and Joint Ventures…and Finding the Right Partners.” Bond New York Real Estate Seminar. (June 11, 2019).
- “1031 Like-Kind Exchanges with Titlevest/First American Title.” Instructor for NYS DOS Approved Continuing Education Course. New York, New York. (May 22, 2019).
- “Talking Real Estate” Podcast. Westchester Talk Radio. Bronxville, New York. (April 17, 2019).
Quotes, News & Publications
- “Information Security In The Real Estate Environment.” Mondaq.com. (July 1, 2019).
- Quoted in “States Seek to Expand Local Tax Deductions Narrowed by Congress.” The Epoch Times. (June 19, 2018).
- Quoted in “Buying and Selling In Bedbug City.” The New York Times. (August 23, 2009).
- Quoted in “Mezuzah Palooza.” The New York Post.
Awards & Honors
- Selected by Super Lawyers, 2014 to present
- Presented U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Marshals Service, Certificate of Appreciation