James Valvano is a Partner in Barton’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. He is an experienced litigator who represents clients in sophisticated commercial disputes involving securities, corporate transactions, investment funds, commercial lending, regulatory violations, fraud, real estate and insurance. James has tried many cases to conclusion in a number of U.S. District Courts and state courts around the country. He has been widely cited for his successful results on behalf of investors in complex civil RICO and securities fraud cases.
James represents corporate clients as well as leaders of Fortune 500 corporations and large financial institutions, real estate developers, individual investors and entrepreneurs.
His industry experience includes banking, shareholder/partner disputes, corporate disputes investment funds, technology, telecommunications, securities, insurance, cybersecurity, construction and real estate and taxation.
Together with the firm’s transactional attorneys, James counsels clients in a variety of commercial matters including, M&A, joint ventures, real estate, finance, taxation, wealth management and asset protection.
Prior to joining Barton, James was a partner at Gordon & Rees LLP.
- Investment Funds
- Financial Institutions
- Partner & Shareholder
- Real Estate
- Represented nine investors in Robert R. Ammarell, et al. v. George Swan, et al. involving millions of dollars in missing investments in an asset management fund.
- Represented dozens of investors in Bergen County court battle in a lawsuit and investigation into the potential loss of millions of dollars following the death of their investment fund manager. The matter has received significant media attention. The matter was posted in The Record.
- Negotiated an installment settlement for pennies on the dollar during litigation where a Chapter 7 trustee sought to recover multi-million dollars in alleged fraudulent and preferential transfers regarding a financial institution and ACH transactions.
- Represented investors in litigation concerning millions of dollars in missing property rental income for an industrial complex in Windsor, Connecticut, which was formerly Aetna’s headquarters. Also, acted as the Asset Manager for the property. The matter was profiled in an article in the Hartford Business Journal.
- Represents national title companies in insurance defense litigation.
- Represented major corporations in complex NYSE mergers and non-public transactions.
- Represented clients with regard to consumer financial services regulations.
- Represented clients with regard to audits by state and federal regulators regarding insurance companies and other regulatory matters.
- Represented clients with regard to audits of lending institutions.
- Represented numerous purchasers of jet aircrafts.
- Represented clients of equity and hedge funds.
- Represented clients forming de novo banks (new banks, either Federally Chartered, Thrifts or OCCs).
- Represented corporate entities in real estate acquisitions and divestitures, security offering for condominiums and cooperatives, property owner associations, commercial leasing, insurance coverage, contract issues, title insurance matters, development and land use issues, financing and tax liability.
- Represented lenders on matters including securitized and conventional mortgage loans, interim and mezzanine loans, construction, and commercial loans.
- Represented builders and developers in a wide array of real estate and construction projects.