CHARLES B. HUGHES
Charles is a leading practitioner in the areas of venture capital and private equity transactions and fund formations. He has extensive experience representing funds in the preparation for and completion of their fundraising processes as well as with respect to the funds’ investments. He regularly handles the purchase and sale of portfolio companies.
Charles’ expertise includes advising institutional investors and family offices regarding equity investments and purchases of senior and mezzanine debt. His experience includes extensive work on cross-border transactions.
Charles serves on numerous Boards of Directors and regularly advises Boards on corporate governance matters and with respect to their fiduciary obligations. He has vast experience in advising the Boards and negotiating the full spectrum of corporate infrastructure documentation, including charters and by-laws, stockholder agreements, investor rights agreements, voting agreements, employment agreements and incentive compensation plans.
Prior to joining Barton, Charles served for ten years as a Partner and General Counsel of Easton Capital where he has held a seat on the investment committee of each of Easton’s five primary venture funds. He continues to serve on those investment committees as well as on the Boards of several Easton portfolio companies in the areas of healthcare, information technology and digital media.
Charles currently serves on the Boards of several non-profit organizations and foundations. He has spoken at numerous venture capital and private equity conferences including the annual ILPA conference and the New York Capital Roundtable.
Prior to joining Easton, Charles spent twelve years as a partner at Torys LLP and its predecessor firm where he was a nationally recognized corporate and transactional partner concentrating on venture capital and private equity investments, mergers and acquisitions and fund formations.
- CHARLES B. HUGHES
- Capabilities / Experience
- Speeches, Panels & Presentations
- Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Venture Capital
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Fund Formations
- Corporate Governance
- Equity and Debt Financings
- Cross-border Acquisitions
- Joint Ventures
- Digital Media
- Medical Devices
- Clean Tech
Speeches, Panels & Presentations
- Distributions and Clawbacks and Venture Capital Limited Partnership Agreements – Annual ILPA Conference
- State of the Venture Capital Industry – New York Capital Roundtable
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Board of Trustees, St. Bartholomew School (Chair of Finance Committee, 2010-Present)
- Board of Directors of River House Inc. (Chair of Audit Committee, 2010-Present)
- Board of Trustees of Tower Foundation (1988-Present; Vice Chair 2006-Present)