Amy Holzman heads our wills, trusts, estate planning, and estate litigation practice. She works closely with clients to gain an understanding of their personal goals, then applies her knowledge and experience in the law to tailor an estate plan that will meet their objectives. Amy prepares a wide variety of plans for U.S. and non-U.S. citizens, traditional and non-traditional families, and a range of individuals, including those with complex tax and personal issues. Since estate tax laws are subject to change, she prepares wills with maximum postmortem flexibility to minimize taxes.
Amy routinely prepares health care proxies, living wills, powers of attorney, and sets up various revocable and irrevocable trusts that benefit individuals and charities. Amy’s practice encompasses planning for disabled individuals through a variety strategies, including the creation of special needs trusts, also known as supplemental needs trust. In addition, she represents clients in marital planning by preparing and negotiating prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements.
Amy’s practice also includes estate administration, where she represents individual beneficiaries, charities, executors, administrators, and trustees. A thorough knowledge of the taxation of trusts and estates allows her to simplify estate administration for her clients by advising them on issues such as gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer taxation. Her familiarity with court procedures enables her to help clients navigate the complex tax and court systems to ensure the proper distribution of estate assets.
Before joining Barton, Amy was with Debevoise & Plimpton, advising on and structuring tax plans for high net worth individuals, corporate and individual executors and trustees, and charitable entities. She regularly lectures to various groups on estate-planning topics.
- AMY HOLZMAN
- Key Capabilities / Experience
- Speeches, Panels & Presentations
- Quotes, News & Publications
- Professional Affiliations
- Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Wills, Trusts and Estates
- Durable Powers of Attorney
- Health Care Proxies/Living Wills
- Beneficiary Representation
- Estate and Gift Tax Planning
- Estate and Trust Administration
- Executor/Trustee Representation
- Surrogate’s Court Proceedings
Speeches, Panels & Presentations
- “Lifetime Giving, Minors and Incapacitated Beneficiaries.” NYSBA – Estate Planning and Will Drafting, New York City and Webcast. (February 7, 2018).
- Lecture on topic of Wills, Trusts and Estates, including for the New York City Bar Association
Quotes, News & Publications
- Member and published author, Fordham Law Review; Estate Planning Aspects of 1998 Budget Proposal
- Trusts and Estates Law Section Member of the New York State Bar Association
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Board member of Savvy Ladies Financial Empowerment